On Wednesday I was talking with one of the ESL students before class. I asked her what her favorite dinner was and she said, "Chicken with peas." I said, "Oh, do you make that for your family?" She answered, "No, I don't know how to kill a chicken." I was really taken aback for a minute. Then I realized where I was. There are supermarkets here where chicken is displayed in parts behind a glass counter. You tell what you want and how much and they put it in a bag. It never comes already packaged. But most people can't afford to go to a supermarket. They keep their own or buy a live chicken when they want to eat chicken for dinner! Then of course they have to kill it and clean it. I learned to do this in Morocco but it's not my favorite job.
At home, many American kids don't even connect the chicken they eat at KFC with the live ones running around in the country. Or maybe they've never seen a live one!
No comments:
Post a Comment