Independence Day in Madagascar is on June 26th, the day I fly away home. There are flags of all sizes being sold on the streets, along with Chinese paper lanterns which will be carried through the streets at night on the 25th, lit by candles. (Do they catch fire?) Red and green lights are wrapped around poles and government buildings, and look pretty in the dark. Here Fanampy and Roger, from our office, are putting one up by the front gate. Even cars hang small ones from their rearview mirrors.
This student stood and gave a long speech saying goodbye and wishing me well, in perfect English. Sorry the pic isn't bigger.
Blaise always sat in the middle of the front row. He is a "wise guy," but very charming.
More favorites.


The student on the right wore a jacket to class for the first time on Friday. He had been wearing only a tee shirt in very chilly weather. I was very relieved that he finally looked comfortable!

This one came to class for the first time on Friday. I was startled...the first Malagasy I've seen with blue eyes!
This is Urbain. He wrote a long sweet letter saying how much he liked the classes that I and Sister Cornelius taught. (Her class was on Saturday.) He especially liked the songs we sang at the end of every one of my classes, and said that even if the students had bad voices, they came out sounding beautiful.
Trying to take stock of this past year in Madagascar. I'll miss so many things (not in order of importance):
- the intense blue skies, puffy white clouds, gorgeous sunsets
-the views from the office patio
-scrawny chickens running everywhere
-people walking in the streets carrying impossible loads on their heads
-the exotic (to me) flowers, trees (including baobabs), fruits
-rice and loaka (meat sauce) twice a day (actually I may not miss that so much)
-my companion, Sister Florine
-chameleons, zebus, the Hoopoe birds, and lemurs
-walking up the street to the office every morning, exchanging greetings with the gate guards along the way
-the taxi rides--each one an adventure! and drivers who remember us
-English classes with enthusiastic students
-some aspects of PEF work
-the young and old(er) missionaries
-the Malagasy people, and all the wonderful friendships
-being a missionary. What a privilege!
And many more.
I was never Trampled by an Ostrich, but I was Licked by a Lemur!
















No comments:
Post a Comment