Sunday, November 18, 2012

Latest harvest!


Our second harvest from our garden is three green beans!  Behind me is our largest flowering tomato plant.  The whole row is full of them, a veritable tomato jungle.

Last night we had our first real thunderstorm, with rain pouring down buckets and lasting a long time, and taking out the electricity for awhile.  What a great sound, heard from under the covers!

Early this morning I heard the "opera singer", lovely high notes wafting through the air.  But the mystery is solved!  It's not our neighbor, it's Fidy, our gate guard,  adding another talent to his list.

Litchis are here!  Pics later.  I ate my first one.  You peel back the skin, which is dry and crackly and peels a bit like an eggshell.  About half-way down, you squeeze the litchi into your mouth.  It is whitish with a slightly soft/chewy consistency.  There is a huge pit inside, so by the time you've gotten all the fruit off the pit it consists of two or three chews on one side of the mouth.  About as much as a grape!  The taste is nice, not my most favorite...but worth it.

The PEF work is still going strong.  My Friday ESL class has grown, since I no longer split it with the missionaries, to 37!

This week is Thanksgiving, and I need to get busy making an apple pie.  My pie skills are rusty or non-existent, so I should do a dry run, but probably won't have time.  Thanks to a friend for good recipes and good vibes.  Best wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving to all my dear family and friends!




3 comments:

  1. I remember that fruit in Puerto Rico! They were my favorite!! I love your beans, and I remember you making good pies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I noticed in your "about me" section you mention your 16 grandchildren...what about your 4 children who brought those kids into the world, hmmm? :)

    ReplyDelete